Saturday, May 21, 2016

Lessons Learned from the Queen

Like most of us in the United States, I have had little-to-no interest in the doings of the British monarch. Admitting that the Queen of England is really more of a source of frivolous entertainment is easy enough for me to do; admitting that there is anything of value to be learned from her and her life is much more difficult.

Danika is coworker who grew up in Britain, and I have had fun teasing her about the news stories we see regarding the royals, either on the Internet, or those in fluff publications like People Magazine. Apart from asking for a day off so she could watch William and Kate's wedding, she has not been what I would call a serious defender of the monarchy. When the topic of conversation turns to the latest escapade from Prince Harry or how Kate Middleton dresses her children, she has readily joined in on the ridicule, and her obvious dismissal of the Royal Family as anything other than a last remnants of a bygone era are quite well-known throughout the office. The Queen's birthday, though, spawned a program that piqued Danika's interest, and she encouraged me to view the cable program "The Queen at 90." After watching it, I have found a new appreciation for what this monarchy fuss is all about.

In previous postings, I have written about Downton Abbey, as well as the demise of civility in our modern world. Having viewed the program on the Queen, I better understand her role and her dedication to her calling. You see, it really isn't about "sitting on a throne" and having servants and lackeys at the ready to fulfill her every whim. The program provided a glimpse into what her life has been, and I learned that from her core, she is the servant, and her challenges have been many and difficult.

From her birth, she had been trained to lead her country; to take on the duties of her state in life. A serious and intelligent woman, the Queen has been on record as saying her reign would be one of devoted service to her people and her empire. I think it is important to acknowledge she does not use the word her as if it is a possession -- a toy or pet, like her beloved Corgis. No, I think that she uses the word to reinforce the idea that she is a caretaker of the people, a cultivator and perhaps a protector and promoter and preserver of what British culture is.

Her father, King George, was beloved by the British for his steady guidance through the world war -- not so much in the political realm, but by the connection to the people who listened to his radio addresses to gain comfort and strength during very uncertain times. Queen Elizabeth learned and understood this role and has had the difficult task of negotiating a changing monarchy in a world that sees the "divine right of kings" as an antiquated idea and system to be relegated to previous centuries. Yet her purpose and her work has been very real and serious.

The program followed her life through her ascension to the throne at 25 years old (and a wife and mother to small children), to her current work today. It is impressive and very humbling to note that she has given up much to fulfill the demands of her calling. I am certain that many times throughout her reign it would have been easier for her to "chuck it all" so that she and her family could enjoy a quieter life....much like how her uncle Edward who chose to abdicate his responsibilities as king rather than give up his private life. I believe it is to her credit that she stood up to the challenges of her duties as a head of state and discharged them with incredible dignity, energy and determination. The biggest take away I had from watching the program -- the thread that was woven into the heart of the program -- is that Queen Elizabeth shows a care for those she serves....and how she serves them.

All of this had me thinking about how I approach my calling -- as wife, mother, soon to be grandmother, caretaker of a child with disabilities, as well as my responsibilities with Tim's medical practice and now as a health coach. Have I really given the time and energy I should to fulfill those duties? How many times have I "chucked it all" for a momentary pleasure like a few extra minutes of sleep? How many times have I put up excuses for not taking the time to travel for the sake of my marriage or family just because I didn't want to? How often have I lost sight of goals simply because the challenge seemed too daunting? Far too many, I suppose.

So for what is is worth, I have gained a new understanding of what it means to be a monarch in the Western Civilization during the modern world. I definitely have a new-found appreciation and respect for the Queen as a person. From her I have learned that devotion and dedication to serve sometimes comes at a high price, but at the close of a day (or a lifetime) knowing that the job was done and done well, that those who have been served feel valued, is more important than what it costs me.


No comments:

Post a Comment